Fashion | Beauty | Lifestyle

9.13.2017

Interview With NYFW Makeup Artist James Vincent

I've always wondered about the chaos that occurs in backstage during fashion week but most of all I wanted to know what it was like to get the models ready for the runways. I got the chance to get a glimpse of the backstage scene I was invited to Kia Style360 NYFW backstage. Chapstick allowed me to go backstage and get a behind-the-scenes look as the model prep for the runway and an interview with James Vincent.

NYFW 2017 BACKSTAGE

Q: Hello James, tell us about yourself!


My name is James Vincent. Im a makeup artist I've been in New York for 21 years, and this is my 42nd season backstage in fashion week. I'm really excited this season because I'm working with a sponsor who has been part of my makeup routine since I've been a professional makeup artist but it's also part of my everyday routine since I was a little kid. I'm working with Chapstick in backstage this year, and as a makeup artist, it's such a staple in everyone's kit. I tend to work with a lot of celebrity and mostly fashion related, so I'm always looking for products that deliver the moisture and have that tint of color that feels really modern and effortless.The new Chapsticks products work really well for the professional makeup artist or the everyday makeup wearer. 

"I tend to work with a lot of celebrity and mostly fashion related, so I'm always looking for products that deliver the moisture and have that tint of color that feels really modern and effortless."

NYFW 2017 BACKSTAGE

Q: What's your favorite trend for fall FW2017?

For 2017 I would say one of my favorite looks is the soft matte complexion and the sheer pops of color. I like the idea that we are kind of seeing that backlash against full heavy faces of makeup because I like to see peoples skin. I love the individuality of complexion, and I think there's a real trend right now where makeup brands are finally recognizing that they need to bring across a complexion for global clients. That's probably one of my favorite trends cause I think people who have had issues with finding a foundation match now feel themselves there. I like Soft pops of colors something that gives you a sheer bit of bright color is an easy way to lift your mood and to deliver onto the lip, cheek or eyes something that makes an immediate impact and a little unexpected. Pair that with a brow and mascara it's just an effortless way to deliver a look that works for everyone of any age or any lifestyle and any skin tone. 

"I like the individuality of complexion, and I think there's a real trend right now where makeup brands are finally recognizing that they need to bring across a complexion for global clients."

NYFW 2017 BACKSTAGE

Q: What are some of the Chapstick products you're using today?

For this show, because we are working with a bold color on the lip what I'm doing is playing with Chapstick in a few different ways. I'm starting off with the Total Hydration Conditioning Lip Scrub it's going to exfoliate and remove the dead skin, but it also stimulates circulation so that the skin coming up is healthy. That allows you to not only to protect your lip and make your lipstick last longer its a great way to protect your lip and keep it healthy. Then I'm following that up with one of the total hydration Moisture & Tint Chapsticks, and these are the perfect way to bring kind of an artistic feel. And because I'm working with such diversity I've got girls that are walking from the lightest skin tone to the darkest skin tone and this sheer bit of color is allowing me to kind of deliver everything from bold, bright reds in a very wearable tone to soft, beautiful pastel shades. I'm using the shade House Red which is a really classic red that works for both warm and cool skin tone, and I'm pairing that with Flaunt It Fuchsia. When you bring a classic red or orange base red onto the lip and pair that with something that has blue to it that's going to brighten the teeth, brighten the eyes and the complexion. It's just a really easy way to find the red that works for you if you're unsure of reds. I'm also going in on the lighter skin with a combination of a rose and coral. Rose Petal is all over the lip with a hint of Coral Blush right in the center. Again, that balance of warm and cool makes it a very wearable look for any complexion. I'm also using these as my cream blush I love using them as a cream blush it's the perfect sheer tint of color. When you're working with your reds and pinks anything that looks like a blood kind of flush of color keep that towards the apple of the cheeks. Take the warmer tones and put that on the higher point of the cheekbones and it just gives you a look that you just kind of exercised or just had a glass of wine or saw the cutie across the room! Like a natural flush of color. 

"And because I'm working with such diversity I've got girls that are walking from the lightest skin tone to the darkest skin tone and this sheer bit of color is allowing me to kind of deliver everything from bold, bright reds in a very wearable tone to soft, pretty pastel shades."

Artistix NYFW 2017

Q: What Chapstick product is a must-have for you? 

If I were going to invest in one thing it would be the scrub, it's one of those items that everybody needs to have with them. As we transition from the warm summer months into the autumn here in the northeast or as we dealing with these crazy weather condition all over the country. One of the things is happening here is that people are seeing their lips are a little dehydrated and showing a lot of texture so lip scrub is something you can throw it in your purse, or you can keep it on your vanity. You can gently move it in a circular motion along the lips, and it gets rid of everything from the night before. If you're someone whos always on the go and you need to freshen up your lipstick from day to night, it allows you to do that. You can also use it on your dry cuticles or if you have any dry patches on your hands. For me, this is something like a go-to product that does a lot of different things. It's kind of like a bionic product because it makes every lip look better and it's really affordable. 

"For me, this is something like a go to product that does a lot of different things it's kind of like a bionic product because it makes every lip look better and it's really affordable."

Q: What's your signature look?

I would say my signature look is uptown glamour with a downtown edge. I'm a new yorker, so I like things that feel effortless I also definitely have a rock and roll feel to everything I do. My clients have been people like Amy Winehouse, Lady Gaga. So I do love a lot of eyeliner, and I think that's why Chapstick works so well in my makeup kit because I'm bringing a lot of drama onto the eye with a liquid liner or a lash I want to balance that off on the lip with something that feels softer. So, Chapstick is something that all of my clients love.

"My signature look is uptown glamour with a downtown edge."

Artistix NYFW 2017

Q: What's the inspiration for the looks you're creating today?

The inspiration for the look today was definitely the color palette of the clothing. What I'm doing here again is playing with the idea of that juxtaposition of warm against cool. So, I'm working with a very cool kind of smokey eye with these kinds of cool metallic shades and then I'm pairing that with Chapstick in warm and cool tones on the lip and on the cheeks. There are no hard lines, no harsh edges, it's just a lovely wearable look that feels young fresh, and it feels strong. It feels like the woman who is wearing this look can accomplish anything! 

"There are no hard lines no harsh edges it's just a lovely wearable look that feels young fresh, and it feels strong. It feels like the woman who is wearing this look can accomplish anything!"

Q: What is your first memory of makeup?

As a kid, I would steal my mother's eyelash curler, and I only have brothers so my mother would ask whos playing with my eyelash curler? It was me! And cherry Chapstick its funny cause I was telling them when they brought me on to do the show is what an honor it was because as a little gay kid pretending to be like Diana Ross. I would pretend my cherry Chapstick was lipstick. As a professional makeup artist, I would say my career actually started from moving away from the counter to celebrity is when I began working with makeup mentors like Kevyn Aucoin and kind of seeing my work being published in magazines or seeing my music videos on MTV. That was kind of when I was like okay I'm a makeup artist.

"I would say my career actually started when I began working with makeup mentors like Kevyn Aucoin and kind of seeing my work being published in magazines or seeing my music videos on MTV. That was kind of when I was like okay I'm a makeup artist."

Q: Any beauty advice?

My biggest piece of advice for makeup wearers other than things like that everyone should do like wear sun protection, exfoliate, or wear a moisturizer. Is to really make it about you. I think that for so many years beauty was one look when I was coming up there was no size, no shape, no color, everything looked very homogeneous, and I think what we are seeing now is beauty is individual. Some of the most iconic women in the world right now when it comes to beauty are not a size 2 or not a 17 year old. I find that to be very powerful and I feel like every person needs to embrace that and say what do I love about makeup? What do I love about beauty? And what can I do to feel beautiful? My makeup is not about hiding, covering or concealing it's about finding something special and beautiful and pulling it forward. I think if more people thought about makeup or beauty in that way they would realize that beauty can be very empowering. It's feminism in so many ways because it's a woman or a makeup wearer saying this is who I am. So, my biggest advice would be to step aside find your own voice, find your own aesthetic, and bring it forward. Maybe that's my rock and roll side too! 

Find me on:


SHARE:

1 comment

  1. what an exciting opportunity for you. He looks like a fun guy and I appreciate his looks.
    http://ahhhsoneo.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig